We are reminded on a daily—sometimes hourly—basis of the cultural condition and societal decline from the east to the west. That said, it’s timely to talk about at least 5 ways a positive outlook can make a world of difference in our lives and for the people around us.
It is important now, more than ever, for us as individuals to take time and refocus our minds on the positive. Not in an unrealistic, always-rainbows-and-butterflies kind of way, but in a “glass half full” rather than “glass half empty” kind of way.
Some may refer to this as being a “cockeyed optimist”, but I, personally, am okay with that term. Why? Because having a healthy balance of world awareness and personal responsibility, coupled with a positive outlook on life, is the recipe for some amazing things my friends.
- We smile and laugh more. Being optimistic brings about more happiness which, in turn, creates more smiles and laughter—which are contagious. Have you ever been in a bad mood and saw someone smile or heard someone laughing hysterically at a .gif? All of a sudden, you’re smiling or laughing too—am I right?
- We care more. When we look at things through a positive lens, seeing the good in everyone and every situation, we care more. We look less at the things that are insignificant and focus on what’s important and matters.
- We help more. Seeing what’s truly important in life, we have compassion for others. Most times, this drives us towards the desire to help others in need and will move us towards action.
- It’s inspirational. Others are attracted to those who are smiling and optimistic because it projects confidence, trust and just overall good vibes. Others gravitate towards that energy and generally are encouraged and inspired to display that themselves.
- We lower our own health risks. When we are positive and optimistic, our stress is lower. With lower stress, we are less likely to experience heart-related issues and other health conditions, such as acid reflex and even cancer.
June 15th is National Smile Power Day and the power of positivity may start with a decision, but one of the ways it is projected outwardly is through smiling. Imagine how pleasant of a day it would be if everyone was greeted with a smile.
The positivity and light we display can create a ripple effect, reaching far more than our immediate circle of influence. So, do whatever you need to do at the start of your day to get your positivity flowing. <3