Men and Unplanned Pregnancy: Risks of Abortion
You may know women who have had abortions, managed their feelings well and gone on with their lives. You may feel that terminating the pregnancy is the best decision for both you and her. Abortion seems like an easy and legal solution but it does have significant risks that you may not understand. That is why it is important that both of you become educated on all your options. Abortion is a choice that can never be reversed so it is important you understand all the implications.
Abortion has many risks to the woman at an emotional, psychological, spiritual and physical level. While you may not experience the abortion physically, abortion can impact your life negatively as well. If the woman does have an abortion based on your beliefs and feelings rather than her own, there is greater risk to her mental health and well-being.
If you and your partner determine to have an abortion, there is some important information you need to know before the procedure to protect the health of the woman.
Ask the staff at the abortion clinic the following questions:
- What kind of abortion will she have? Will it be surgical or medical? Ask about the specifics of abortion procedure.
- Who is the abortion doctor and what are their credentials? DO NOT sign any papers that may release the abortion clinic from any medical liability should she be injured during the procedure.
- Is the clinic clean and sanitary? Abortion clinics are rarely inspected by government agencies. If the facility does not appear spotless, find another one.
- If the clinic offers ultrasounds, insist on being allowed to view the screen.
- Ask about and know the potential risks of any of the procedures that will be completed.