Why Have an Ultrasound if I Am Going to Abort? //
If you think you may be pregnant and are thinking about terminating it is important to get a pre-termination exam (positive pregnancy test and ultrasound) beforehand to ensure your own health.
- You may have an STD and not know it. If you have a sexually transmitted disease, and it is not treated before an abortion procedure it can spread and cause you serious health problems.
- To determine viability. Ultrasound can show possible indicators of a miscarriage which means that you wouldn’t need an abortion. For example, if the gestational sac is empty, there is no heart beat, or there are signs of molar pregnancy you won’t need an abortion because the body will naturally expel the pregnancy.
- Miscarriage. This is a very common occurrence in the first trimester (estimates are as much as 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage). You may have a history with miscarriage or be taking medications/using substances that could increase your chance of a miscarriage. You may not need an abortion because the body will naturally expel the pregnancy.
- Ectopic Pregnancy. An early ultrasound will determine if the pregnancy is in the uterus or not. If it is not in the uterus, an ectopic pregnancy requires immediate follow up with an OB/GYN.
- Pre-existing health conditions. Talking with a medical professional about your own health conditions is wise (for example things like anemia, cysts or diabetes). Any condition like these puts you at higher risk in any medical procedure and could affect your long term health.
- To determine how far along you are. This will enable you to know about all the options available to you.
- Education on the risks and explain the procedure. As with any medical procedure, a doctor should review all the risks and explain the surgical procedure; this often does not happen before an abortion. An early diagnosis pregnancy clinic will go over this important information so you will know exactly what to expect.
- Your physical strength. Take prenatal vitamins now, even if you are considering termination, so that you will be strong and your immune system will be nourished to help you with healing.
- Change of mind. If you discover support to parent (friends and family) or choose to place for adoption and decide not to abort, taking prenatal vitamins will have already been helping you and the baby get a healthy start because most of the development happens in the first trimester (OB offices usually don’t schedule you until 11-12 weeks).
Call Clearway today for a free pre-termination exam and gt all the facts before moving forward.