Steps to Take Before You Have an Abortion //
The best decisions are well informed decisions. Be sure to take these steps to endure your long-term health and well-being.
- Breathe. It’s going to be okay to give yourself some time to think and read up on all your options
- Find out if you are really pregnant. You can do this by taking a home pregnancy test or at a health clinic.
- There are factors that could simply be delaying your period. Including birth control changes.
- About 1 in 5 pregnancies end naturally in miscarriage so you may not need an abortion.
- Call an early pregnancy diagnosis clinic before you call the abortion clinic.
- Knowing how far along you are and if the pregnancy is viable will determine next step options
- Know your LMP – the first day of your last menstrual period, or at least an estimate if you don’t remember the exact date
- At the Clinic they will…
- Obtain a urine sample to confirm positive/negative pregnancy
- If positive, do an ultrasound to determine how far along you are
- Knowing how far along you are is important because of difference in procedures
- Determine if the pregnancy is viable or not
- Give you information on all your options and discuss your individual situation
- They will go over the abortion procedure and risks involved – as with any surgery/medical procedure – the abortion clinics often will not go over this.
- Get tested for STDs. If you have an STD, a surgical abortion will put you at greater risk for spreading the infection and health complications.
- If you are still considering aboirtion:
- If you are a minor (under the age of 18) in the state of Massachusetts legally you must have a parent or legal guardian give consent for an abortion
- Know your legal rights in case of medical complication or malpractice
- Know in advance how much it will cost (most insurance will not pay for it)
- Do not go by yourself. You will need emotional support and possibly someone to drive you home if you are unable to. Or if it is a chemical abortion be sure someone else is at home with you in case of complication
- Ask questions and insist on answers.
- If you are considering a chemical abortion – (before 10 weeks) learn about the Abortion Reversal Pill at www.abortionpillreversal.com or 1-877-558-0333
- Educate yourself on Post Abortion Syndrome – PAS signs and symptoms before going through with the termination
- If in the future you do have emotional, mental or spiritual difficulty with the abortion experience know where you can go to get help.
Clearway Clinic offers ClearPast – a post abortion recovery program. We have been able to help many women heal from depression, anxiety, guilt, and shame connected with a past abortion experience. Other help can be found at www.abortionchangesyou.org, abortion recovery hotline at 1-866-482-5433, or www.menandabortion.org