Good Decision Making Strategies //
Decisions are part of our everyday life from day to day, hour to hour we are required to make decisions from what flavor coffee to have to decisions on the job. But then there are times when decisions need to be made that are difficult and require more thought, time and information. These are the kind of decisions that will cause life change and in fact will shape our future and who we are as a person. These difficult decisions cannot be taken lightly nor can quick solutions be made spontaneously because they will have long term effects – often times initially unseen; a decision that may seem to make sense today, in the rear view mirror years later may not make any sense at all. Here are some helpful strategies to consider as you walk through the decision making process:
- Every good decision requires good information – gather as much reliable, unbiased information as you can. Be careful with internet searches as this can lead you to sources that may be unreliable or opinion based. This will help you understand all aspects of the options available to you and possibly give you other options and possibilities that you hadn’t thought of.
- Make a list of every possible alternative – even the ones that at first may not be something you would have considered. This will enable you to explore every facet well. You must be open to all the options and alternatives to find the best solution for you.
- Look at the pros and cons of each alternative. Think about the future: what will impact will this have in 1 year? 5 years? 10 years?
- Figure out what is most important to you and know the reason why you are making a particular decision. If you know the why behind your choice you will better be able to stand behind it when questioned or when internal conflict arises. If the “why” is fear driven, money driven or because someone else is pressuring you – those are not good enough reasons and will ultimately cause you to have conflict – external or internal.
- Support system – you want to take into consideration what your support system is for each option available to you, Who will help me if I decide this way? Or that way? Sometimes people will surprise you and come to your aid when you didn’t think they would agree with you. Explore community resources that are designed to help people just like you succeed. Even if you want to parent and none of your family or friends agrees with you, there are organizations designed to provide you with a safe lace to live, securing a job and helping you get on your feet to be independent and do it well.
- Timing Matters – when making major decisions it is wise to take as much time as you can to work through theses steps. Especially when it comes to unplanned pregnancy, if you are early in the pregnancy you have time. Make sure to take time to work through all the factors; making a quick decision for abortion based on emotions may affect your long term mental and emotional health and well-being.
At Clearway, we are devoted to providing you with up to date, medical education, information and resources you need to move forward with whatever decision you make about your unplanned pregnancy. We are here to help and support you in your time of need.