Does Using Marijuana Affect My Pregnancy?
- Using marijuana while pregnant may affect your baby’s development
- The chemicals in marijuana – whether smoked, eaten, vaped or in creams and lotions – pass through your system and crosses through the placenta
- Possible effects to the baby can include: low birth weight, increased risk of stillbirth, attention deficit and learning issues in children
- These chemicals can also pass to the baby through breast milk while breastfeeding
- It is also harmful to the mother. Effects may include dizziness, impairment of judgement, risk of falls or injury, lung damage and breathing problems
- The CDC and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that pregnant women, or women who plan to get pregnant should avoid using marijuana in any form.